University of Alberta Press accepts creative and trade nonfiction manuscript submissions throughout the year, including works of literary travel for our Wayfarer series. We do not publish novels.
Two chapters from the manuscript should be accompanied by a proposal that includes:
- The working title and a 1-2 sentence summary of the book’s main “hook.” What’s your pitch?
- A more detailed synopsis of the book that includes rationale for writing the book, any relevant background information about the work, and thoughts on why you are bringing the project to University of Alberta Press.
- The table of contents and a short (1-3 sentence) description of each chapter/section.
- A brief description of the readership you imagine for your book: who are you speaking to as an author, who will want to read your book, and what do you hope readers will take away from reading your book?
- A list of 3-5 recent books that are related to your project: books that are on similar topics or take a similar approach or have a similar readership. Please briefly describe how each book is similar to or different from the book you are proposing.
- The proposed date of completion (if the manuscript isn’t already written).
- The approximate length of the manuscript (in words).
- A description of any illustrations (number of images, figures, maps, etc.) and how they are used in the work.
- A description of any part of the proposed manuscript that has been previously published, along with any other permissions issues or special considerations that might need to be addressed before publication.
- A brief author bio, noting previous publication history, and any academic or professional affiliations and/or expertise, as applicable; please specify that you are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
- Please mention if you are submitting this work simultaneously to other publishers.
Work that falls under this category is considered on a rolling basis and we aim to respond to submissions within two months.